Contact Me

Email me
"Hard is not hopeless." - General David Petraeus



Sunday, February 5, 2012

Reward Yourself for Writing Goals Reached

I've felt very strongly for the last few months that I needed to make it a determined goal to produce this year.  Produce for me means getting those first drafts written.  I have lots of excuses for not getting it done--the most hideous day job ever, church responsibilities, too tired, haven't had time to research, haven't had time to outline, etc.  You name it, I've got an excuse for not writing.

As I've already shared, last year felt unproductive, but in actual fact, despite all the ups and downs and gaps in my writing, I managed to pen 125K words last year.  So then I got to thinking--if I can write 125k words haphazardly, what could I accomplish if I made a determined effort to write steadily every week?

So my goal has been to write 3,990 words a week (570 words a day).

I met my goal for January, so I treated myself to a writer's night out this past Friday.  I grabbed a quick bite to eat then took myself to the movies--went to see Red Tails, a story of black WWII fighter pilots since I love American History (and I will pause here to say again God bless our men and women in uniform, past present and future.).  I even treated myself to a Strawberry Icee (don't tell the endocrinologist).

In order for me to succeed with my writing goals, I must live a balanced life.  And I need to treat myself periodically as a way to fight burnout.  Life is a hard slog--seems like we're going 90 miles an hour all day every day. 

It was good to kick back and relax and just absorb some history and some good entertainment.  And now I'm working on tackling my goal for the month of February.

Best wishes to you in your writing journey.

1 comment:

Patricia PacJac Carroll said...

Good for you!!!
I confess, I don't often set goals or make them when I do. I applaud your success.

And will set and do my goals.
Goals are really essential for success.