Contact Me

Email me
"Hard is not hopeless." - General David Petraeus



Saturday, February 19, 2011

It's Official--My Local Borders Is Closing

As we've discussed on this blog, some bookstores are struggling. Borders in particular has been struggling for quite a while, in part because it waited too long to enter the e-reader market and diversify itself.

The last few times I've been in my local Borders it was a shell of its former self.

Well I woke up to an email this morning stating that this particular store will be closing. It's not a surprise, but it is sad. I've had Arizona Screenwriters meetings there in the past. And my local crit group spent some time meeting there years ago as well.

My hopes and prayers are that the displaced workers at Borders will find alternate employment quickly.

And it's not just the Borders employees who are affected. Borders has massive debt, which includes debt to publishers. Which means debt to authors. In other words, the whole thing is a mess.

I do hope that the big two-story Borders in the Phoenix Camelback corridor will survive the axe. That is a huge Borders store (the one where I went to Dr. Stanley's book signing) and probably has better survivor potential than a lot of the other stores. We'll see.

ADDENDUM 8:49 a.m.: Unfortunately I just checked the Borders website and the Borders on the Camelback Corridor did not make the cut either. That is so sad.

No comments: