Contact Me

Email me
"Hard is not hopeless." - General David Petraeus



Saturday, February 19, 2011

Don't Read Mark Twain at the Bookstore Cafe

In the midst of running errands today, I took some time to swing by the bookstore for a browse and to sit in the cafe and download some Zane Grey titles to my Kindle, along with a few pieces by Mark Twain.

While sipping Dr Pepper (yeah, I know people go to these places for coffee, but I hate coffee) and munching on an oatmeal raisin cookie, I was reading a couple short pieces of Mark Twain's. Oh my goodness. I'd forgotten how funny he was. It's a dangerous thing to sit alone at Barnes & Noble reading Mark Twain. I'm quite certain both patrons and employees alike thought the chick in the horse shirt hunched over her e-reader and giggling was NUTS! 8-)

Too much funny stuff to quote but let me excerpt here from On The Decay Of The Art Of Lying:

If a stranger called and interrupted you, you said with your hearty tongue, "I'm glad to see you," and said with your heartier soul, "I wish you were with the cannibals and it was dinner-time."

Humor is one of the most difficult things to write. To be able to write it consistently is remarkable. Mark Twain was certainly a master at it.

It's good to laugh!

No comments: