Contact Me

Email me
"Hard is not hopeless." - General David Petraeus



Saturday, January 10, 2009

The Nifty 350 Adds Up!

Writing Restart Update!

As I mentioned previously, I'd re-read an article by James Scott Bell encouraging writers to get up first thing in the morning and get down that first 350 words of the day. So, since I've have a very long dry spell, I started doing just that on December 22.

And in just 20 days, I've written a total of 17,600 words. Or almost a quarter of an average novel's length!

This has been a most excellent exercise for getting my writing engines restarted. My daily writing comprises several different stories, not just one, but still, it's PROGRESS! Something I haven't known for several months.

If you haven't tried this method of motivation already, I strongly encourage you to do so. As you can see, you usually end up with more than 350 words a day when you're done.

Go forth and write!

2 comments:

Amy Deardon said...

Brenda, what a great reminder! Thank you so much! Congratulations on progress for your novel

Patti Shene said...

Brenda, I've enjoyed reading your blog over the past few weeks. So glad to hear you are writing again! I have felt a similar "dry spell" for quite some time. Maybe I'll try your "nifty 350" plan and see if it gets me jump started again.

BTW, I think it's about time for me to crack open another Zane Grey story! Think I'll revisit Forlorn River and follow it with the sequel, Nevada.