Contact Me

Email me
"Hard is not hopeless." - General David Petraeus



Thursday, May 3, 2012

You Really Have to Love Writing To Pursue It



Only a small percenteage of those who desire to write a book will follow through.

And no wonder!  The time it takes to write/revise/revise/revise/publish is maddening.  My journey has been a long one already and I'm far from finished.  I started out by writing screenplays in 2002.  In 2005 I stopped trying to force myself into that mold because I simply didn't like the medium.

Then I switched to what I really wanted--writing novels.  For six years I wrote sporadically.  It has been extremely difficult trying to wedge writing into the rest of my life.  Got a little more consistent in 2011, and in 2012, FINALLY, I'm writing consistently. 

But it's extremely difficult.  Sometimes I want to cry with frustration at all the demands on my time.  Now my writing time has a new enemy--my quest for better health and wellness through healthy eating (tedious and time consuming) and more exercise (gobbling up yet more time out of every day).

I understand why some people give up their novel quest.  It gets tiresome being run ragged every day of your life.

But I refuse to stop.  This is my most consistent writing year ever.  And if I can run the race steadily, I will have finished two first draft manuscripts by the end of the year.  And next year, in addition to editing those, I want to go through revisions on two more manuscripts.

So I'm going to take a bold step of faith and set my goal as having four manuscripts ready to pitch by September of next year.  A lot can happen between now and then.  But I need to set a concrete goal to shoot for--to know that the hard slog is well worth it.

Guess we'll find out in September 2013 whether it worked or not!

4 comments:

Linden Barrick said...

Keep working! Publication doesn't make you a writer. Writing does. And you're definitely a writer!

B.K. Jackson said...

Thanks! And there are so many stories bubbling in my head waiting for a chance to get out!

Nicole said...

Pursue!

B.K. Jackson said...

Thanks, Nicole. Truth is, I don't know how to stop! LOL! Even as frustrating as it gets some time.

I was excited today to finally get a little time to do some research--just a drop in the bucket compared to the hours and hours I need to research this book, but it's a start.

I just have to be careful not to let myself start chasing research rabbit trails or I'll get derailed for sure!