Contact Me

Email me
"Hard is not hopeless." - General David Petraeus



Saturday, July 24, 2010

Creating Storyworld #2




WOW.

I find myself at a place I've never been before. A new road to travel. A new mountain to climb.

After 5 or 6 years, I FINALLY finished my first novel a week or so ago. Now I am at long last giving myself permission to start Novel #2.

Giving myself permission, you may ask. What do you mean?

Writing a novel is a very long process. Longer still if you're squeezing it in between the day job and other responsibilities. Add to that perfectionism. THAT will make it take much longer. But I have finally reached a point where I can say "it's as done as I can make it right now."

Yes, even now the urge to keep tweaking it still moves in me. But I realize in my heart it's time to move on to Novel #2 to continue my writing training.

It is both exciting and scary. Exciting for the grand new adventure yet to begin. Scary because I've been living and breathing the same characters for a long time and now I must leave them behind, like friends you lose when you move across the country.

My biggest problem with novel #2 has been choosing which one to work on next. I have a hopper full of 10-12 novel concepts and I'm torn in many different directions. All action filled, about half are historical, half contemporary. And most feature a male protag, which is usually my preference.

But how to choose which one? I plan to spend some time brainstorming today on one particular novel concept that interests me.

My prayer for novel #2 is:

* That I lay out the detailed synopsis beforehand in a much better fashion than with novel #1

* That having gone through one novel, I am better at keeping the "big picture" concept in mind as I write.

* That I naturally see, and more easily see, how to tweak scene order for maximum effect

* That I finish this next one in just ONE year. That will be a biggie.

* That I carefully do my research, but not get so caught up in the excitement of learning that I run down too many rabbit trails

* That I prepare the pre-writing work carefully and once I start the first draft, I push and push until it is done, hopefully within 3-5 months (probably closer to 5 considering the highly stressful day job). The point is, NO lengthy breaks. Just nose to the grindstone and go--it will be better for me, better for the story flow.

* That I pray constantly, and not let self-doubt hold so much sway on novel #2.

In fact, that's what I pray for all of you who may be tackling your own writing projects.

Full steam ahead!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Amen, Brenda! May God give all of us writers a clear head to see the big picture and may we be productive and decisive this year. To borrow a certain phrase: yes, we can! :D

Patricia PacJac Carroll said...

Congratulations on finishing your first book. That is a wondeful accomplishment. And Am I excited for you to start another. What fun!!!

Patti Shene said...

A huge congratulations, Brenda! I know you have worked hard on this novel for a long time.

Sounds like you have some great goals in mind for novel #2. Maybe if I adapt some of them, I can complete novel #1 - someday!