Contact Me

Email me
"Hard is not hopeless." - General David Petraeus



Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Book Recommendation: Double Vision by Randall Ingermanson

WOOHOO!!!!! At last! The holiday weekend is here!

I've been looking forward to it so much. As I mentioned recently, I've been having a hard time stringing together enough time to brainstorm revisions to my novel, so that's what this holiday weekend is all about. I can't wait to get started.

And I just finished reading a great book to give me impetus as I move into my story's revisions. The book is Double Vision, by Randall Ingermanson. The book has been out for a couple of years, but I don't get much chance to read fic when I'm trying so hard to write it, and it takes me a while to get around to books.

This book is identified on his website as "techie romantic suspense" which I like better then what is on the back cover - "humorous romantic suspense." But don't let that fool you, the humor throughout the book was just the perfect blend for the story (right down to inserting the Mac vs. Microsoft debate). 8-)

This techno-plot revolves around one man, two women, and a tech project worth billions, capable of world-wide impact. (for more details on the plot summary, I'll let you seek out the review on Amazon, etc).

This was a great high concept novel - so well done that I didn't even mind the 'romantic' part. 8-) Of course the techie stuff was over my head but who cares? It was woven into the novel in a way that you could understand on a basic level - at least enough to follow the story. That's the beauty of it - you don't have to be a physicist to love and be able to follow a great story.

Double Vision is "unputdownable." I so desperately wanted to finish this book last night and I stayed up very late, until absolutely inescapable physical exhaustion forced me to pry my fingers off the pages and set it down.

But then I jumped right back into it the minute I woke up this morning - in fact was a little late for work so I could finish.

What a great read. I was smiling all morning thinking about the ending.

Of course there are 2 bad sides to this book:

1) I was so drawn into story world with this book that it was really hard to kick-start myself into the workaday routine at the office this morning.
2) Reading this makes me want to run out and pick up one of his other books right away. Which would be great, except now I need to hunker down and focus on my own story. 8-O

Sigh. No more reading for me for a while. But at least I have found another author whose work I can add to my watch-list for books to read.

Have a great 4th everyone!

No comments: