Contact Me

Email me
"Hard is not hopeless." - General David Petraeus



Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Rotator Cuff Surgery - 3 Weeks Post Op

No dramatic difference between second and third week.  Followed up w/ortho surgeon 2 days ago--he did follow up x-rays, checked mobility level & said everything is on track for long term recovery.

Will be in sling for 3 more weeks, & still no driving for at least 3 more weeks. 

The long recovery process is starting to wear on me a little--still sleeping (or trying to) in the recliner & will be for some time.  Can only get an average of 4-5 hours sleep a night.  It's still easy to get freaked out by my almost non-existent arm strength & very limited range of motion--I mean overall I'm optimistic about the success of my recovery but can't seem to squelch brief periodic moments of panic that it won't get better.

I'll remain in the active assisted phase of rehab for 3 months--which means we don't even attempt to start strengthening the rotator cuff muscles till around October, which means no regular strength training until some time after that (don't know specifics.)  And I'm very tired of hunt & peck one-handed typing--it takes forever & tires my good arm out.

Today was a little harder & I was more tired, too, but I suppose there will be days of ups and downs.  I think I need to ramp up my walking a bit because I can sense a bit of depression setting in from all the physical inactivity. 

I am sincerely thankful to have such a good medical team assembled for my care.  The doctor and his staff have been great, as is my physical therapist's office.  All of this has been a lesson in how much you need other people--even for 'keep-to-myself' people like me. 8-) 

So I'm sucking it up and forging ahead.  But I'll be glad when rehab is over.  Next update at 4 weeks post op. 

Have a blessed and HEALTHY week.

1 comment:

Patricia PacJac Carroll said...

Glad you are recovering. Praying for you.