Contact Me

Email me
"Hard is not hopeless." - General David Petraeus



Thursday, August 2, 2012

It Wasn't For Nothing

In the immortal last words of Jenna Kaye before she was gunned down in cold blood by Wofat (Hawaii Five-0):

"It wasn't for nothing."

As readers here know, since March 19th of this year I've been on an intensive journey to better health.  Strength training three times a week, and cardio 6-7 days a week, averaging about 3 miles a day. 

A very large reason for this pursuit, apart from my disgust at being unhealthy and unable to enjoy Arizona, was trying to outrun the Diabetes Monster, which has had its claws out, swiping at me for the last five years or so.  My family history is rife with diabetes and obviously my weight and eating habits were NOT helping.

I usually dread going to the endocrinologist.  Every time I go, they give me stern warnings and ask me if I want to start diabetes medicine because I'm right at the line.  And I keep throwing my hands up saying "No! No diabetes med!  I'll change my ways! I swear!" (I think the only person who's heard that lie more than an endocrinologist is God.  If you ever doubted God's patience just remember that. 8-)

And, as you have surely guessed, I never do change.

Until this spring.

Today was my first endo appt since January and THIS time I looked forward to going, though I was still nervous--I was thinking "What if I go and my labs results are still terrible?  I will have done all this work for nothing!"

I'm ecstatic to report that I took my endocrinologist by surprise.  Not only have I lost 46 pounds since I saw him last, my blood glucose and A1C are in a healthy range, my cholesterol is good, triglycerides vastly lower and, as a bonus, they had to DECREASE my thyroid medicine because I don't need as big a dose anymore! 8-)

I'm sure some of you are reading this and grumbling, thinking, "Why is she telling me this boring information?  I thought this was a writing blog?"

My deepest apologies to those who are bored.  But I felt it was worth it due to the large numbers of Americans who suffer from being overweight and/or unhealthy.  If you are struggling to avoid diabetes, if the extra pounds are making you feel like a slug, I encourage you to go after a healthy lifestyle.  I'm not going to lie--my time investment has been significant.  Anybody who tells you that you only need a few minutes a day to get in shape is full of beans unless you're young or a skinny-minnie who doesn't have to exercise much anyway.

But--IT IS WORTH IT.

Worth it to have energy again.  Worth it to be able to buy clothes that are 3 sizes smaller.  Worth it to go out into Arizona and praise God for his mighty work of Creation.  Worth it to have a story you can share with others and help them out.  I've had several opportunities to encourage others who are just beginning this journey and that's awesome.

Worth it to see the surprise on my normally mellow and unflappable endocrinologist's face. 8-)

Thanks, Nathan.  Thanks, Oscar.  And thanks to my many friends, both locally and online who have encouraged me.  God bless you.

1 comment:

Patti Shene, Executive Editor, Starsongs Magazine said...

Wow, Brenda! I am very proud of you! I know what an uphill battle it is to stay healthy, and I'm afraid I'm on the dark side of losing mine. Your post inspires me to get out there and fight for my health! You go girl!