Contact Me

Email me
"Hard is not hopeless." - General David Petraeus



Friday, November 19, 2010

Recommended Read: Spoken From The Heart by Laura Bush

I'm not much of a memoir reader--this type of book doesn't usually grab me. I might read one every 6-10 years. But I knew the moment I heard Mrs. Bush's book would be coming out that I wanted to read it. I immediately signed up for it at the library but already the list of requestors had grown long so my turn didn't come up until a few weeks ago.

I encourage anyone, regardless of political persuasian to read it. I thoroughly enjoyed the book for many reasons. You learn a lot about the history of the White House, why things work as they do, the pomp and circumstance, the tedium, the challenges, the opportunities.

To be honest, reading about the life of the First Lady wore me out---so much to do, so many responsibilities. I am amazed at all Mrs. Bush achieved in terms of literacy, children's education, and women's rights.

The other takeaway of this book is that reading it will encourage you to be proactive in helping your fellow man as she outlines numerous ways she watched different Americans in all walks of life make a difference in the lives of others, both here and abroad.

I'm so thankful to have had the opportunity to read it and be inspired. I know you will be too.

No comments: