Contact Me

Email me
"Hard is not hopeless." - General David Petraeus



Thursday, May 27, 2010

Don't Let Distractions Derail Your Writing

So I sent messengers to them, saying, “I am doing a great work, so that I cannot come down. Why should the work cease while I leave it and go down to you?” – Nehemiah 6:3

I mentioned a few weeks back that finaling in Genesis was like a signpost on a dark empty stretch of road. I now have confirmation that I'm on the right path after all. That's awesome.

But now that I have that confirmation, I have to continue learning the ropes as a writer. Which means writing. 8-) More importantly, it means writing and not being derailed by distractions.

I was listening to a radio message on In Touch this morning that deals with this very same subject. And as I listened to the message, I instinctively found myself taking the lesson to heart regarding writing in my life. Based on the book of Nehemiah, here's how he dealt with distractions and rebuilt the wall in just 52 days, all of which can be applied to our lives as writers:

1. Nehemiah recognized that this work he was called to do was the will of God. Since he knew it was the will of God, he stuck to it.

2. Nehemiah kept a clear picture of his ultimate goal. He had the end goal in mind so he didn't waver in heading straight toward it.

3. Nehemiah was aware of the magnitude of the task before him.

4. Nehemiah kept his goal constantly in prayer from the very beginning.

1 comment:

Patti Shene said...

Excellent advice, Brenda. If I'd ignored distractions back when I finaled in the Geneis way back in 2005 (good grief!) I'd probably have my novel published by now!