Contact Me

Email me
"Hard is not hopeless." - General David Petraeus



Sunday, February 7, 2010

Stuck on Chapter 8!

Do you remember the Star Trek episode "Spock's Brain"? In it, in order for McCoy to be able to put Spock's brain back in and reconnect it, he had to put on the alien head device called "The Teacher" (that strangely looked similar to a salon over-the-head hair dryer with spikes) which filled his head full of knowledge to perform the complex surgery. He did, and later regretted re-connecting Spock's vocal chords. (How rude!) 8-)

In McCoy's case, the knowledge only stayed with him for about 3 hours.

I wish I had my own alien head device to fill my mind permanently with the knowledge of how to be both a novel strategist and a military strategist. The two things I seem to struggle with most in my novel.

In my last chapter's revisions, I was bouncing back and forth between characters in the chapter, and with one character set up a situation that now, in chapter 8, I don't know what to do with. I've been puzzling over it for a few weeks. But thus far, I haven't figured out how to write myself out of that box.

And it's also tied to military strategy. If any of you readers write historicals that involve to any degree the implementation of military strategy, I'd love to hear from you. When you are laying out the scenes of a novel that has action/adventure elements, in this case military, each event has to fall in a particular timeframe. And if you goof up in one scene, it effects the next several.

Writing historicals requires a lot of work, but I especially find it difficult to think like a strategist. Maybe that's my kind way of saying I have a chaotic mind. 8-)

But I have been praying to the Master Strategist for help in overcoming the obstacles in my 8th chapter and I'm confident He will deliver in His time. Until then, I think I'm going to work on another part of the story till I can pull my brain out of the mud.

No comments: