Contact Me

Email me
"Hard is not hopeless." - General David Petraeus



Monday, June 29, 2009

Finding More Than 10 Minutes Snatches To Brainstorm

Ah, the one recurring frustration in my life.

Time.

As in, never enough of it. As in I desperately need to brainstorm revisions to my novel based on the feedback I just got, and I can't get a chunk of time carved out to do it.

Some aspects of the novel process can be done in short snatches of time--the pre-novel brainstorming, the actual drafts and revisions, etc. I've made much progress over the years simply by utilizing my two 15-minute breaks at work each day for writing time.

But when you are brainstorming changes you need to make to your plot or characters for revisions, a 15 minute dash just doesn't cut it. Or maybe it does for other people. Maybe my brain just functions too slowly compared to other people.

All I know is I need to have several hours of time to call my own and get it done, but haven't been able to find it in the last week and a half.

So while everyone else is thinking back yard barbecues and gatherings of friends and family for the 4th, I'm eagerly thinking of the holiday weekend too--except in my case I'm looking forward to hunkering down with my novel and burning up some gray matter as I ponder the revisions that need to take place.

May this next three days pass by quickly! 8-)

1 comment:

Cora said...

This is very interesting, Brenda. That’s so cool that you spend your breaks writing, when most people would be staring into their coffee cup, in a desperate attempt to muster up the energy for the rest of the work day! And I thought I was being diligent, taking a story for critique to the Dentist’s office to work on in the waiting room! But, of course, being the chocoholic that I am, I couldn’t tear myself away from the decadent, doubly delicious
recipes for chocolate brownies, etc. in a Family Circle magazine, which in turn led me to
take my daughter to the chocolate Cheesecake Factory for lunch, with the money we saved at the Dentist’s! (thank you Dental Insurance!) ... Now what was I saying?
Happy writing anyway!
Cora