Contact Me

Email me
"Hard is not hopeless." - General David Petraeus



Thursday, February 12, 2009

About Arizona: Did You Know. . .

. . .That the first territorial governor appointed to Arizona never arrived in Arizona to assume office? John A. Gurley died on August 19, 1863, the day before he was scheduled to leave Ohio for Arizona, having died of a sudden attack of appendicitis.

. . .That Arizona boasts more national parks and monuments then any other state?

. . .That the first Arizona first marriage ceremony was performed at Tubac on Valentine’s Day, 1858?

. . .That Phoenix boasts the largest city park in the world with it’s 17,000 acre South Mountain Park?

. . .That Arizona is the largest copper producing state?

. . .That the first Baptist missionary arrived in Arizona (Prescott) in 1879 who built 7 Baptist churches?

. . .That the town of Tortilla Flat has a population of six?

. . .That in 1866 the population of Arizona was 5,526? [Brenda’s Note: There are that many people living just on my STREET now! Okay, I don’t really know how many people live on my street, but it sure FEELS like 5 or 6,000 people]

. . .That Arizona has a town named Brenda? [I had to throw that one in. 8-) ]

I wish I had hours and hours to compile more facts and tidbits, but that’s all I have time for today.

No comments: