Contact Me

Email me
"Hard is not hopeless." - General David Petraeus



Thursday, July 25, 2013

Rotator Cuff Surgery 2 Weeks Post Op

The second week of physical therapy gives hope and there is noticeable improvement in mobility.  I've had 2 milestones in the last two days:

1.  Yesterday, very slowly and carefully, I was able to work myself into a button down shirt.  Yeah!!!!!
2.  Today--one of the most joyous milestones for me was being able to slowly and carefully lean forward and wash BOTH hands in the sink and apply hand lotion.  That was a very big deal for me.  You have no idea how happy that makes me. 8-)

I have noted there does seem to be a misconception among people, who think that folks on medical leave are at home doing nothing but sleeping, watching TV & eating bon bons.  Sorry to burst your bubble, but doing physical therapy modalities a couple of times a day combined with the slow process of the activities of daily living eats up most of your days.  Not to mention you tire more easily and have to rest at least once a day.

The good news is, while everything may take longer, the fact that you only have one good arm requires you to walk that much more back and forth in your apartment, which gives you a little more exercise (unless you have a butler doing it all for you. 8-)

In this second week of rehab, I've consistently had the energy to walk out a steady 2 miles on the treadmill each day, plus some light weights, and some squats and lunges a couple of times a week.  I continue to work on strengthening the rotator cuff muscles of my non-operative arm as well.  And usually, first thing in the morning before the humidity really climbs, I walk to the corner convenience store or grocery store.  It's nice to be outside, humid or not.  My arms may not be fully functioning but there's no reason not to use my legs.

This week, I've also been able to leave the sling off for longer periods of time when in the safe environment of home but I definitely do not go out without it or rest in the recliner without it.  Still fragile and the shoulder needs to remain protected.

All in all, I'm making slow and steady progress, and learning a lot about myself and other people in the process.

And I want to give a shout out to the team at Endurance Rehab (http://www.endurancerehab.com/) for the excellent work they do.  They are awesome!!!!

No comments: