Contact Me

Email me
"Hard is not hopeless." - General David Petraeus



Saturday, February 25, 2012

When God Provides An Outlet

Freedom of movement.

One of my passions.

Lack of freedom of movement.  One of my deepest fears.

If I could name one thing in life that has caused me the most heartache, it is lack of freedom of movement, which has plagued me for the last 8-9 years.

I've never been athletically gifted.  I was always the last one chosen for a team during P.E.  Even after several years of playing tennis, I only managed to progress to about a 3.5 level of play.

Nevertheless, I've always loved to be physically active. In addition to my past as a tennis player, I've loved to hike, or even just walk the neighborhood.  It feels wonderful.

When I hit 37, I began to have back problems.  No doctor has ever been able to pinpoint or treat the problem.  The result being no more tennis and I must walk shorter distances than what I was accustomed to previously.  And it means you never move pain-free.

But that's not the point of this post.  The point of this post is hope.  You see, one day recently, I burst into spontaneous jog.  Not even at my most physically active stage of life was I ever interested in running.  Never.

But poof, out of the blue, this 46 year old burst into jog.  Pathetic mind you--it only lasted a few seconds and covered a distance of a few yards.

But the offshoot is--three weeks ago I began to embark on a beginner runner's training program.  And I DO mean beginner.  First week's goal was to run for 30 seconds 4 times over a 20 minute (1 mile) exercise period three times a week.  For the last two weeks I've been working up to 45-second runs (haven't nailed it yet but will keep at it.).

Why am I telling you this?  Because while yes, the physical problems have been frustrating to the point of tears, I think this thorn in the flesh was placed there for a reason.  And no, I have no idea why.

BUT--I think this suddenly being prompted to run is a physical promise.  A physical promise that God's still with me.  He knows the suffering I experience.  Both the physical and other things.  But He's still with me.  Still providing for me.  And He is going to make things new for me.  Give me ways to renew my hope.  And part of that will come through the joy of experiencing freedom of movement in a way I haven't before.

How has God made his presence known to you recently?

No comments: