Contact Me

Email me
"Hard is not hopeless." - General David Petraeus



Sunday, November 20, 2011

Thanksgiving Brain

Come the latter stages of November, I always get Thanksgiving brain.  That means I'm already anticipating that rare 4-day weekend I get during Thanksgiving.  That's the good news.  The bad news is that in my line of work, I can't afford to be less than 100% focused on all the minutiae my job entails, so I have to work extra hard to retain my focus (because in my mind, I'm on Thanksgiving break already).

But there's more good news.  I work an extremely high-stress job.  But during the holiday season, people at long last focus on their holiday hustle and bustle, which means they spend less time stressing me out--it's the only time of year I get a break from the high-wire tension.

And that means that finally, toward the end of the year I get to think and plan and even have some creative fun time.  Now I'm not sure, with all the homework I'm having to do to stay on top of my classes, how much writing time I'll have, but I will undoubtedly have some.  Which is good because I need to get some plotting done.

So as we go in to this holiday week, I am extremely thankful for the opportunity, near the end of another extremely stressful year, to let off on the gas and enjoy simply being for a change.

Here's to blessings and renewal over the holiday season.

No comments: