Contact Me

Email me
"Hard is not hopeless." - General David Petraeus



Tuesday, August 9, 2011

The Most Difficult Thing To Do

In reading today's devotional at In Touch, (http://www.intouch.org/magazine/daily-devotional), the subject is overcoming obstacles and part of the devotional states:

"Whenever you face an obstacle, you may experience great heartache. But even in the midst of pain, you can have full confidence in God."  The background scripture for this is Joshua 6:1-5.

I don't know about others, but having full confidence in God--putting my faith in Him in all situations, is the hardest thing of all to do.  I wish that level of faith were so simple. So easily obtained.

I know from numerous examples in my life that God hears my prayers and knows my suffering.  And that many times, He answers.  But it usually takes a long time (as per my view of time, not God's).  I also know that suffering brings about good eventually.  We can't grow more into the likeness of God without trials.  But sometimes...well sometimes you just get sick of the trials, especially when they drag on forever, when you just want to fall down and cry in frustration and pain and yes, even yell at God because you've confessed every sin you can think of and still the pain and suffering strains you to the breaking point.

To be honest, I have a very blessed life--except for one huge glaring area--my job.  You know, that thing that sucks up most of the waking hours of our lives. And yes, I'm ever mindful of the many, many people who are out of work and I'm not denying their pain or suffering.  But pain and suffering comes to the employed as well.  I can't share the details as I'd like to, for quite a few different reasons.  But let's just say you'd have to go a long way to find a person more ill-suited for the job they are in than I am in my present situation and, at least for now, I am firmly trapped there (I recently used the anaology with someone that finally I understood why an animal chews its leg off to get out of a trap).

While most of my angst surrounds the job, it is not helped by the general mess our country is in--stress that we are all feeling.  And to be perfectly honest, as human beings I look around me and see that we are all falling apart because we've walked so far away from God's plan for us.

Pessimistic?  Perhaps.  Or just another gift garnered by my particular area of employ. What I do know is that there is only one answer to life's problems.  But He has his own timing and it takes deep faith to trust in Him completely.  For timing.  For solutions.  For everything.

And I pray that He will grow my faith to trust in Him beyond every trial, every frustration, every worry for my nation and my world.  I want to live Joshua 1:9, which says:

Have I not commanded you? Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go.” (NKJV)

No comments: