Contact Me

Email me
"Hard is not hopeless." - General David Petraeus



Thursday, June 16, 2011

Getting Your Dog To Take Care of Business Without Taking Ten Years

I love my dog.  Most days.

To say I'm frustrated is an understatement.  I just recently moved from living by myself to having a roommate.  I thought that was going to be super-stressful because I've been accustomed to being a lone wolf.  THAT has been surprisingly easy to adapt to.

What has NOT been easy is the fact that at my old place in the hood, I had a small back yard with a dog door where the dog could go out and do her business.  Now she has to be taken out every time.

I don't mind frequent trips out for the bathroom, what I do mind is that she has to sniff for 20 minutes to do a 30 second bathroom break.  And easily distracted? Good grief!  If a leaf blows, or the a/c cooling unit kicks on, or a car passes by in the far distance, instant distraction.

ONE of us has to work for a living, and might actually like to have some time to spend somewhere OTHER than the dog potty area, you know, like writing? Even doing other household chores?

If you have tips for settling your dog into the task at hand for going potty, I'd love to hear it.

No comments: