Contact Me

Email me
"Hard is not hopeless." - General David Petraeus



Thursday, March 17, 2011

One of the Dumbest Comments From A News Agency

My heart grieves over the situation in Japan and it is my constant prayer that they will get all the resources and rescue personnel they need to recover as many people as possible and deal with the massive, massive disaster resulting from last week's quake/tsunami.

I try NOT to read too many articles about it and thankfully I'm spared from 24/7 news reports because I don't have cable TV. But this morning I read an article which made me so sad and mad at the same time.

The news article reports: "U.S. officials took pains not to criticize the Japanese government, which has shown signs of being overwhelmed by the crisis that began after last Friday's devastasting 9.0 magnitude earthquake and resulting tsunami."

"...shown signs of being overwhelmed"

Um....HELLO? Of COURSE they're overwhelmed, as any nation would be by such a disaster. What an idiotic thing to say.

And criticism? Give me a break. Yes, I know both Japan and all the nations of the world need to learn from this about how to do things better, but what Japan really needs right now is focus on rescue, recovery and restoration, NOT criticism. And what foolish ingrates we are to worry about criticism or political posturing at a time like this.

It is only by the grace of God this didn't happen to us, or some other country. And there's no guarantee such a terrible disaster might not occur again.

My heart also grieves for the countless pets who have no doubt been abandoned and left for dead in the face of this disaster. That too, I have to try not to think about much because the thought of a dog, as well as a person, waiting for help that doesn't come just tears me up.

I pray the Lord will give the Japanese authorities clear thinking amdist the stratosphere of stress, and energy to all rescue personnel and nations and companies involved in the rescue effort, that communications will be good so that people and materials can get where they need to be, when they need to be there. And of course, for all of those, two legged and four legged, who are crying out for rescue, that they will be saved.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Right on, Brenda. These folks sit in their comfortable desk chairs and criticize policy without lifting a finger to help. May the Lord have mercy on those dear folks in Japan. Praying for the miraculous for them right along with you.

B.K. Jackson said...

Watching footage of the tsunami, filmed by people on top of tall buildings, I have been amazed at how calm they seemed while they filmed. Of course I can't understand Japanese, but how they could be so calm and collected and film that huge tide of water coming in...

I'm afraid I would not have handled it so well.