Contact Me

Email me
"Hard is not hopeless." - General David Petraeus



Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Searching For The Passionate Historical Fiction Writer

There are a zillion fiction writers out there. But it is possible to feel isolated as one writer amongst zillions. And so I put out this plea for help.

I'm looking for something very specific. It may seem bizarre to you. But that's ok. Wouldn't be the first bizarre question I ever asked and it won't be the last either. 8-)

I'm looking for a mentor. A very specific mentor. What are my specific requirements? I am looking for a writer of historical fiction who is so madly, passionately devoted to a specific geographic area and time in history, that they desire to make it their life's work to write novels based on that place and time.
They are so passionate about that time and place in history that writing those novels in that time/place supercedes thoughts of publication or writing to the whims of the market. They write these specific novels because they can't write anything else.

If that describes you, historical writer, I'd love to hear from you.

Why, you may ask. Well, having a passion so strong that you want to make it a life's work is a very daunting, gargantuan task. I need help in learning how to break it down into manageable chunks and in organizing it, and I'd like to hear how others have done that.

It's really like being an architect---flying high over a time and place and looking at the whole picture, then, building block by block the stories that will bring that time and place to life over the long haul. Plans that big are filled with many pitfalls and failures.

I don't even understand it all myself. All I know is that there is this massive yearning in me---this huge plan that involves crafting story after story in my chosen time & place in history. I feel like I will explode if I don't.

Surely I can't be the only writer in the entire world who feels this way? Surely there are others?

If you're out there, how did you take on this massive task? How did you break it down into manageable chunks? Organize it? Persevere, despite trends and advice? I'd love to hear from you.

No comments: