Contact Me

Email me
"Hard is not hopeless." - General David Petraeus



Sunday, December 27, 2009

Did You Leave Jesus Behind?

***

Our message today at church was “Did you leave Jesus behind?” using the passage Luke 2:41-50 and the story of Mary & Joseph not realizing for a whole day that Jesus wasn’t with them. Instead, He was listening to the teachers at the temple and asking them questions. (And can’t you just see the expression on mom and dad’s faces when He says “Why did you seek Me? Don’t you know I had to be about my Father’s business?”) Sure, they knew He was the Holy One of God, but living it day to day life…that had to be quite a challenge!

Anyway, the pastor’s point in today’s message is that, while done unintentionally, Mary & Joseph left Jesus behind. More to the point, we are still leaving Him behind today – often intentionally.

* How many times have we chosen not to go to church even though the Bible specifically commands us not to forsake gathering together? We are in effect telling Jesus “You’re not important. I’m leaving You behind today.”

* How many times do we make a snap decision without seeking Him in prayer first? And how often do we run into trouble as a result? We are in effect saying, “I know better than You. I’m leaving You behind today.”

* How many days out of each year do we spend worrying and fretting even though He tells us it will not add one cubit to our life span and that He will supply all our needs? We are in effect saying “I don’t trust You. I’m leaving You behind today.”

How many times did Jesus say “Oh ye of little faith?” Clearly, we earth bound mortals have a hard time listening to God’s commands and trusting in Him.

I want to keep today’s message in mind for all aspects of my life but especially as I set goals for 2010. I confess, my first instinct was to set writing goals without seeking God first in prayer. I was just going to set goals that ‘seemed right’ to me. But what about what seems right to God?

After all, He has been preparing me to write from childhood, from the time He first instilled in me the desire to write after I learned how to write my first sentence. He is the author and finisher of my faith. I owe it to Him, out of love and respect and a grateful servant’s heart, to seek Him first in these things. Not because of a sense of duty, but because I want to please Him.

2 comments:

Patti Shene said...

OH, yes, Brenda, it is so easy for us to head off in our own direction without taking a moment to listen to the still, small voice of God as He seeks to direct our lives!

Anonymous said...

I've been on both sides of that fence--consulting God and being blessed because of it; making a rash decision because of emotion or want and paying for it dearly. Oh yes...your blog hit the mark.