Contact Me

Email me
"Hard is not hopeless." - General David Petraeus



Sunday, June 14, 2009

Recommended Reading: Certain Jeopardy

Let me cut right to the chase:

HIGHLY RECOMMEND!!!!!

I’m referring to Certain Jeopardy, the brand new release by Capt. Jeff Struecker and Alton Gansky, from B&H Publishing.

As I mentioned yesterday, I tend to search B&H Publishing first for books of interest, since they and Tyndale seem to be a lot better at catering to male interest books. As it happened, while I was reading the blog of Karen Ball (B&H Publishing Editor), she had posted a picture of the cover art of Certain Jeopardy and I knew right away by looking at the cover it would be one I was interested in.

So I rushed to my library to get a copy. I read it this weekend and loved it so much that I hurried to the Christian book store right after church to pick up a copy to send to my Dad and nephew. Unfortunately, they didn’t have it in stock and said it would take 3 weeks to get it in. Bummer. I was hoping to get it to my Dad by Father’s Day.

Certain Jeopardy is the story of a U.S. Army Special Ops team sent in to conduct surveillance on a possible Al Quada training camp but end up on a mission to rescue (if possible) a scientist.

This is just the kind of book I LOVE to read. Lots of action (even though the military has to endure a lot of hurry up and wait), and we also got to explore the lives not only of the team members but some of their family members as well. We are drawn into the military world, but also into the world of the families left behind who not only have to worry about their absent loved ones but continue to deal with the trials of life.

The characters are very well drawn and you come to care for each one. This book makes you laugh. It makes you cry. It puts you on the edge of your seat wondering how the mission will turn out.

Only the subplot involving the pregnant woman seemed to lack tension but it didn’t detract from my enjoyment of the book.

WOW! It was like food for a starving woman. It had action. There were guns. There were people facing tough decisions. And it explored relationships outside of traditional romantic lines.

What a wonderful substitute for the F-word filled, gory-to-the-extreme secular suspense fiction.

I hope there will be more fiction of this type emerging on the CBA market. It’s long overdue. I’d also like to see this type of guy-focused fiction written in the historical realm too (outside of traditional romantic lines).

But Certain Jeopardy is one book to definitely add to your summer reading list.

No comments: