Contact Me

Email me
"Hard is not hopeless." - General David Petraeus



Saturday, May 30, 2009

Writer/Speakers Pump Up Your Enthusiasm

Earlier this week I posted about the downer that the trek to publication sometimes becomes. No, I haven't even submitted in order to receive my first rejection letter, but there are a whole lot of stumbling blocks that seem to be in the way of new writers. Blocks that have nothing whatsoever to do with your actual writing.

But today was a good shot in the arm for me. As a member of ACFW (http://www.acfw.com) or American Christian Fiction Writers, we also have local chapters. And we are fortunate enough in my area to have a local chapter.

And today we had a meeting I've very much been looking forward to because Nancy Turner was our guest speaker.

I've blogged a couple of times over the last few years about Nancy Turner. If you are unfamiliar with her, she is the author of These Is My Words, Sarah's Quilt, and The Star Garden and others. I was absolutely blown away by these books, especially These Is My Words - which I have read TWICE already. Her books have the privilege of being able to turn off my internal editor - a very rare feat. For more information on Nancy Turner, visit her website at http://www.nancyeturner.net.

Anyway, she did a marvelous job as guest speaker and I felt really energized afterward. It gave me the fuel I need to keep pushing forward with my project. And it came just at the right time because it lifted me out of my writing doldrums.

WOW! How do I top an afternoon like this? I don't think I'll try. I'll just sit back and let the renewed energy wash over me and store it up for when I began my next rewrite this coming week.

Thanks to Nancy Turner and thanks to ACFW for making it possible.

No comments: