Contact Me

Email me
"Hard is not hopeless." - General David Petraeus



Saturday, February 14, 2009

Happy Birthday, Arizona!

Well I’m disappointed. I had wanted to have a week filled with new daily posts on Arizona, but this has turned out to be a super-busy week and all my dreams and plans for this week’s blog have come to naught.

Nevertheless, I can’t let the day pass without celebrating the holiday – nope, not Valentine’s Day, but Arizona Statehood Day – TODAY! 8-)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, ARIZONA!

I’ve lived in four different states over the course of my life but none ever fascinated me until I came to Arizona. I’m truly blessed to be able to call it home.

I’ve been sitting here at home today going over research notes for my novel – refreshing myself on key points in Arizona history. I’m amazed at all she and her residents have been through over the years. I truly wish I had time to tell you many of these stories.

For example, did you know that between 1854 and 1860 alone there were at least 10 bills introduced to Congress petitioning to make Arizona a separate territory from New Mexico? And that ultimately Arizona did not achieve separate territorial status until 1863 when it became politically expedient for Washington to do so? (some things never change. 8-) )

All that fight and effort to achieve territorial status, and then it was yet another 49 years before she achieved statehood. The wheels of government surely do turn slowly.

I’ve truly had an enjoyable day strolling through Arizona’s past. I pray if it’s the Lord’s will, He will grant me the opportunity to bring Arizona to life in several works of fiction so I can chronicle her story.

To me that would be a crowning achievement.

No comments: