Contact Me

Email me
"Hard is not hopeless." - General David Petraeus



Thursday, December 25, 2008

The Stillness of Christmas, The Power of Christ

Today we rejoice the birth of a Savior.

And I embrace a phenomena that only happens on Christmas. It is the one day of the entire year that my neighborhood is still and quiet for at least part of the day.

I live in a very noisy neighorhood. Kids. Music. Cars, etc. But on Christmas day, unlike any other day, people grow quiet and still. It is uncanny. It is my favorite moment of the year.

Why is that, I wonder? Americans celebrate 5 other holidays where people typically have a day off. But they're are just as noisy on New Year's, Independence Day, Labor Day as the rest of the days of the year.

So why do people grow still and quiet at Christmas?

I think it is the power of Christ over the world, whether the people are saved or unsaved. Many of us are blessed to have received Christ as Savior and received the eternal salvation offered through His sacrifice on the cross. Many others vehemently deny Him or His existence. Others believe in God in a generic way but have never taken that crucial step to receive Jesus into their heart.

But whether we deny Him or not, I believe inbuilt into each of us deep down is a reverence for Christ, an acknowledgement of His power that we can't shake. And even in my neighborhood teeming with people of all walks of life, saved and unsaved, they can't help but feel the power of Christ on Christmas. Even 2000+ years after the big event.

And I hope while people are still and quiet today, they'll look at where they are in life in relation to Jesus - and hopefully, if they are still in that denial stage, they will cast it aside and grasp onto that wonderful Spirit filled life.

No comments: