Contact Me

Email me
"Hard is not hopeless." - General David Petraeus



Friday, October 10, 2008

If a 93 Year Old Can Do It, There May Be Hope For Me Yet!

I learned something new tonight. It all started when I saw an actress on an episode of The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries (I was reliving a blast from my past - love Parker Stevenson!) with the last name of Ebsen, and I was curious if she was any relation to the famous actor Buddy Ebsen. Turns out, its his daughter.

If you're from my generation, you probably logged a whole lot of hours watching Buddy Ebsen, first as Jed Clampett, then as Barnaby Jones. What was the new thing I learned? That Buddy Ebsen published a novel at the age of 93!

News to me!

And how cool is that? Totally cool!

I can't claim to know much about Mr. Ebsen's life, but from what little I do know he sure seemed to seize life and live it during his time here on earth. Actor, author, singer, dancer and who knows what else? He lived life to the fullest and lived to be 95.

That's certainly something for me to think about, given some of the things I've gone through recently and how I've dealt with them. And sometimes, as I toil day in and day out at the very stressful day job and continue trying to eek out writing time whenever I have any brain cells left over, I often wonder if it's simply too late for me to be published. I also often ask why I persist using scant energies left over for writing when the day job is already sucking the life out of me.

But now I have to stop and think. Mr. Ebsen was more than twice my age when he published his first book!

So for myself and all struggling authors out there - buck up! If we work hard, and remain persistent, it will pay off. We just need to be patient and wait for our time.

No comments: