Contact Me

Email me
"Hard is not hopeless." - General David Petraeus



Wednesday, November 28, 2007

End of Year Crazy!

I don’t know why, but the end of year is almost always a crazy time – and that’s WITHOUT throwing in Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays too.

Actually I do know one reason why. My company has this amazing penchant for always choosing the end of year to implement very stressful moves, programs, and technologies. We are a few days a way from opening a satellite office in an adjoining town and the stress level has been over the top.

The good news? I’ll be working at the satellite office which will put me much closer to home and finally have an easier commute. The bad news? I’m just hoping to live through the stress long enough to enjoy it. As the lead admin in my office, it’s my responsibility not only to leave my work in good order for the next crew of two, but I have to train the new crew. Plus train for my new job and all the uncertainties and overwhelming details that go with it. Combine that with still attempting to recuperate from the bout of creeping crud I’ve had for almost 4 weeks and you’ve got one cranky, exhausted, stressed out chick.

But the worst thing of all is how foolish I am. The crazier my life gets, the less time I spend in prayer and that should be PRECISELY the time that I should be on my knees in prayer asking for help and guidance. How many times have I heard it said that the greatest time saver in life is taking everything to the Lord in prayer FIRST! You’d think after all this time I would have learned. But I can be pretty dense sometimes.

So tonight, I’d like to make a special effort, before my last frizzle frazzles and before I collapse into bed in a comatose state, I want to take the time to ask the Lord to lead me. I need grace to deal with all the uncertain situations that are being lobbed my way. I need patience to deal with my short temper and that of those around me. I need guidance so that I can choose appropriately in the midst of many decisions I have to make. And I need to ask God to change my attitude. Instead of being critical of shortcomings in communication or logistics, I need to ask for His help in finding ways to provide helpful answers, not more stumbling blocks.

Is it easy? No way. Casting my cares on God requires giving up control – and I crave control most especially when my life seems out of control.

But God is our shortcut to living the best life possible. We’ll all be better off for learning that lesson.

I can do all things through Christ[a] who strengthens me. – Phillipians 4:13 (NKJV)

1 comment:

RitasRavings said...

Hey Brenda,
Didn't know you had a blog. Nice! I too find I don't spend enough time in prayer. Thanks for the reminder.